• August 23, 2018 at 10:25 pm #403
    KellyKelly
    Keymaster

Please comment with the following information:

ii. Golf course where you work
    iii. Position on the golf course
    iv. How long you have been in the industry
    v. What you enjoy most about golf course maintenance
    vi. The greatest challenge you have on the golf course where you work.

You are welcome to add any other information that you would like to share with the fellow students.

September 7, 2018 at 2:57 pm #404
    CyrilCyril
    Participant

My name is Cyril Chiya I am a fiirst assistant at Simmbiithi golf course in Balito i have been working as a first assistant for one year.Before that I worked as a Irrigation for 4 years at Durban country club in Durban My favourite part of golf course maintenance is Irrigation.The greatest challenge I have at Simbithi golf course is the drainage in the bunkers are get blocked after the have rain.

September 7, 2018 at 2:57 pm #405
    AmosAmos
    Participant

My name is Amos. I am the golf course superintendent at Simbithi Golf Course in Ballito. I have been working as a superintendent for 3 years at Simbithi. Before I was working at Mount Edgecombe as Greenkeeper for 5 years. As supervisor for 4 years. As spray Technician 3 years. As labour 2 years.
    My favorite part of golf course maintenance is
    The greatest challenge I have at Simbithi Golf Club is that the climate is very hot and place is not draining well. That’s need water management and Nutrient management.

September 9, 2018 at 10:59 am #406
    EmmanuelEmmanuel
    Participant

Fellow students I am Emmanuel n Jaca, I am currently working as an assistant superintendent at Durban Country Club,I have been in the golf course industry for more than ten years.I am passionate about working in an outdoor environment,I started working as a field worker,spray technician using the knapsack and continued to a spray rig.Spraying requires vast knowledge about irrigation.our golf course is among the best in its irrigation system as the whole course is well equipped from first to the eighteenth hole from greens,fringes fairways and tees even on other parts of rough.
    My favourite part in the industry is observing results after identifying any problem which include diseases,eradication of weeds and any thing that requires attention when fruitful results are attained.The greatest concern is the inability to continue with the outlined monthly programme due to fact that our golfcoure attracts more local and international golfers which makes course the busiest from Monday to Sunday which is good for the industry and difficult for the superintendent as compromise has to be reached with the golf director and the pro shop.

September 9, 2018 at 2:04 pm #407
    LarryLarry
    Participant

My name is Larry and i am working as an acting superintendant in Mount edgecombe country club Durban.
    I have been acting for four months before that i have been an operator for nine years.
    I am really enjoying to spray my golf course.And my greatest challenge in my golf course is nematodes and poa annua.

September 9, 2018 at 2:29 pm #408
    AmosAmos
    Participant

My name is Thozamile.I am the golf course superviser at Mount Edgecombe Golf Course in durban.I have been working as a superviser for 1 year.before that I worked as a spray operator for 2 years at the same golf course,my favourate part at the golf course maintenance is fertilization as a result of good looking greens.the biggest challenge was to spray 36 holes since we have 2 courses

September 13, 2018 at 4:59 pm #409
    WilliamWilliam
    Participant

My name is MOKHAFELA WILLIAM ZULU and i’m the Superintendent at zebula Country and spa ,I started working at zebula in 2002 on a construction of zebula ( building zebula) and 1 Nov 2003 they hired me as an irrigation man till 2010 and I become an ass superintendent till 2016 and now I’m the Superintendent. The most this that I like doing most was irrigation because of it give you challenge in life but to be superintendent is a task to me to know more about the industry. Thanks

September 16, 2018 at 12:15 pm #410
    JohannesJohannes
    Participant

My name is Johannes. I am working at one of the biggest golf course in South Africa Silver Lakes golf course in Pretoria. I work as Assistant superintendent and Head of irrigation. 12 years in the industry, started working at Euphoria golf course in 2006 as a general worker during the the contraction of the golf course under the company called Topturf ,continue with Topturf till the maintenance of the golf course, 2008 I was appointed as a irrigation Tech, is when the love of golf course started.Things didn’t go well then Topturf contract was terminated .2010 I worked for Euphoria as irrigation Tech maintaning the golf course in -House. 2011 I was employed by wallington sports turf which now known as Matkovich golf course maintenance as irrigation Tech then promoted in 2013 given the big responsibility as second in command(Assistant superintendent ),2017 the company transfered me to Silver Lakes to help as Assistant superintendent and Head of irrigation. I enjoy most irrigation because it was the first work responsibility and I love golf course maintenance work because of irrigation, I do great in this job.Poa on greens and bunkers drainage are the biggest challenges.
    Thanks.
    ALL THE BEST

September 18, 2018 at 10:54 pm #411
    CollenCollen
    Participant

My name is collen I am working for Matkovitch golf course maintenance at eagle canyon golf course at honeydew.i am a head greenkeeper. I have just been given this opportunity by Matkovich and I really appreciated and I’m going to work hard to prove myself. I have been in this industry from 2005 I was working for turftek(division of servest) as machine operator and got promoted to be spray technician.unfortunetly In 2008 turftek left and i remain under club and is where I got opportunity to be superviser,in 2010 I got opportunity again to be assistant superintendent.in 2015 the club decided to outsource the greenkeeping staff and is where I got opportunity to work for Matkovich and I continued as assistant until now when I get this opportunity to be head greenkeeper. I really like to work in golf courses maybe is becouse I never do any work or work for any industry besides mainteining turf.our big challenge in our golf course is poa, but as we started a poa cure applications on our greens I believe we will get rid of it one day.God bless

September 20, 2018 at 8:08 pm #418
    JamesJames
    Participant

1. Hello everyone.
    2. My name is James Hlungwani
    3.I’m working at Euphoria golf course
    4. the superintendent green keeper
    5. I have been in the industry for 12years , and 6 years as a superintendent green keeper.
    6. I enjoy spraying with boom rig.
    7. My bunkers are not draining and the is no budget to fix them . When it is raining I’m running around with a water pump .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags